Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Data Collection

 

“Hola, Beckett. I miss you. How are you?”

Those were the first words I heard when Beckett logged on to his school-issued Chromebook last week for his mid-year assessment. 

I immediately felt this relief from tension I had not noticed I was carrying. 

Poor kid with this high strung teacher mom. 

I had been so worried for him about this test. Beckett has had seven days of face-to-face school. He has a super loud baby brother that distracts him from his sight words. He’s a six-year-old learning in Spanish without classmates or unifix cubes or monkey bars.

So this test quickly brought up some old resentments I had from my time as a public school teacher. Why does the state think test results are reliable with limited face-to-face time, social isolation and heavily-compromised teaching practices from virtual learning? Why do they think test results are valid through Google Meet from their parent’s office or the least-loud corner of the kid’s house? 

That had been so heavy on my mind as we read The Big Test by Julie Danneberg this week. It chronicles the challenge of teacher, Mrs. Sarah Jane Hartwell, as she prepares her students for their end-of-grade standardized test. She was feeling “really, really good” about her student’s readiness. But during test preparation, her students, one by one, develop fears that ruin their recess and anxieties that make them want to escape to the nurse’s office. Realizing what was happening, she surprises them with a celebration to prepare their hearts, as well. She realizes the most important part of their test preparation is that they also feel “really, really good.”

So, when I heard those first eight words: “Hola, Beckett. I miss you. How are you?” I was  immediately reminded that even though she is collecting the data that she’s mandated to collect, she knows the data that matters. I seriously needed that reminder, too. 

This year, she has to test them through that computer screen with timers they can’t see and measures they don’t understand, because the state told her so. 

What’s most important though, is that she makes her students feel good, really, really good. She reminded me of the data that matters.

#juliedanneberg #standardizedtesting


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BRANDING + BLOG DESIGN BY LAUGH EAT LEARN